Monday 28 July 2014

Late July Marketing

The indispensable Scott, the hats and I hit the markets again over the last two weekends. First up, back to St. Lawrence Market. I wanted to be there especially on July 19 because a bridal party at St. Lawrence Hall, just behind us on King Street, was bedecked in bespoke fascinators I had made for them. They had promised to drop by for a photo with me. I had been looking forward to that since I met them months ago. Of course, Mother Nature had other plans, dumping rain on us in the afternoon, so alas, the photo did not happen. Sigh...

Anyway, I did have lots of fun regaling everyone who came by and would put up with it about my big day at Woodbine earlier this month. People were very kind and indulgent, and said many lovely things about my competition hat, which I showed off shamelessly. I figured potential customers might like a story to go with their Hats by Anne purchase, and I think I was right.

After a slow start and amid ominous weather, it turned out to be a pretty good day! Herewith some photographic souvenirs:


Here's my table.


And here's me, in my lucky hat. (The one I wore to the Queen's Plate, not the competition hat.)


The buskers du jour. They were upbeat and entertaining, playing a selection of pop tunes, mostly vintage, which were fun to sing along to when no one was at my table.


Birchy art in the tent behind mine.


Orange art being shown at a distance for a potential customer. We're all about service in the market carts at St. Lawrence Market!


A new thing at St. Lawrence Market: Historical Artisans doing their thing. This one is cobbling, so I had to talk to him. I learned to make shoes before I learned millinery.


Nice fellow is Peter Monahan.


Sue in her new equestrian cap. Thanks, Sue!


Maria picked up this little fascinator just in time to wear it to a wedding later that day.


And the universe smiled on me once again by bringing by Jean and her daughter Nan, two dear customers who are building something of a collection of my hats. It always makes my day when I see them, and I'm so grateful to them for their ongoing support. Big hugs to both of you with big thanks!

And that was that. The rains began and we pulled out.

The following Saturday, the last one in July, we made another foray to Wychwood Barns, to take part in another of their curated arts and crafts shows. I love the place and what they've done with it. I've talked about it enough on this bog, but follow the link to hear about it directly from them. It was another jolly day, inside and not at the mercy of the elements. And Roberto Riveros was there again, my photographer friend from St. Lawrence Market, with his super son Severus, a budding photographer himself. Here's a photo Severus took of me last time we were there:


What a talent!

It was a bit quieter this time, but still good. And I do love trolling through the awesome farmers' market and picking out something to nibble between table visitors. This time it was a yummy vegetarian Japanese rice roll wrapped in nori.

And I learned about the image of the flapper poster mounted high on the wall in Barn 2, where we were.


It's a staged photo from a series taken on streetcar safety. The woman is demonstrating the unsafe way to get off a streetcar. The photo of the correct way wasn't nearly as attractive. So the message is enjoy the view, but don't follow her example. The Barns people were selling buttons of her unsafe self, so I bought one.

Here are my photos, including those of people trying and buying hats, keeping safety first and foremost, of course.


My table, under the skylight, not under the open sky. What a pleasant experience.


This is Charlotte, who really liked this hat.


Just a smidgeon of the wonderful farmers' market right outside.


Mushrooms.


Southern Horizons. Love those jolly buckets of colourful veggies.


Buskers.


Clarence Michon. Love his guitar.


Michelle, who really liked this sea grass cap. She was wearing it around the market, when someone asked her where she got it. Next thing I know...


...Nadia bought one herself! Thank you, ladies! You both look wonderful in them!

Thanks to all who came by, including the camera-shy customers, and my charming vendor neighbours. Looking forward to the next time we get to be in a Wychwood Barns sale.
























No comments :

Post a Comment