Monday 8 August 2011

Mary Anne's Hat



Mary Anne cuts my hair, and she's very good at it. When she asked me to make her a hat for a recent family wedding, I was delighted. Her talent and skill has been making my head look good for some time now, I wanted to return the favour.

She chose an eggplant parasisal straw base which I trimmed in singed iridescent organza -- a hat band and a flower of many individual petals and shades. The centre of the flower was created from a pair of earrings Mary Anne provided. (This was the first time I'd done something like that, and I was happy that it worked.) Natural, shaved coq feathers provided the finishing touch, nicely echoing the iridescence of the organza and the jeweled centre.

I was really happy with the results, and Mary Anne seemed pleased, too. She graciously provided the photo of herself and her partner, Jimmy, on their way to the wedding.

Many thanks to David Dunkley, who kindly helped with the brim. (He'd bribed me to spare him some extra time if he helped me finish this piece, so it was a win-win situation. Yay!)




No comments :

Post a Comment