Thursday 31 October 2013

Holiday Season Begins!

Happy Hallowe'en! Let's hope this rain departs before the little ghosts and goblins begin their annual candy crawl. Can't wait to see what our Jack O'Lantern will look like once the indispensable Scott has carved it. Bless his pumpkin-gutsy hands! I'm up to my elbows in felt, fabric and feathers, so I'm very grateful that Scott takes the Hallowe'en duties upon himself.

Also, when your book is about to come out, having your hands immersed in pumpkin keeps you from biting your nails to the quick.

But I digress. I want to tell you about my holiday craft shows.

They begin at the Heintzman House Artisans Craft Sale in Thornhill, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., on Saturday, November 9 and Sunday, November 10. I missed this one last year, but I'm back again. It's such a lovely and interesting historic house (adobe! You'd never guess), once belonging to the family who manufactured Heintzman pianos, so it's worth a trip for that alone. The $2 admission goes to the auxiliary who use it to maintain the property. And it's a real bargain, for you get to see the house and see the work of three floors worth of fabulous makers of swoon-worthy creations, to give our to indulge yourself with.

The next one is Vaughan of A Kind, in Woodbridge, On Saturday, November 16, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. I'm looking forward to Hats by Anne's second appearance there, after an enthusiastic reception last year. It's another sale full to bursting with lots of crafty talent, in a bright, new community centre. Free admission and parking!

And in between those two events, I am making my debut at the Arts Market at 846 College Street, just west of Ossington. Have you heard about it yet? It's a very cool, year-round, indoor craft market for makers of all kinds of arts and crafts. It's the brain child of Daniel Cohen, whom I met at St. Lawrence Market a couple of years ago. Daniel is a photographer, who traveled the world and sold photos of his discoveries. He thought it would be a good idea to have a year-round craft sale where the creations gets to stay warm and dry, no matter what it's doing outside, and you get to keep making things and someone else (Daniel) minds the store. Daniel looked at examples of such places on his international travels, honing his concept with the best examples out there, came home and got to work. He opened the Arts Market at its original location in Leslieville in the summer of 2011, and it's been such a success that he's more recently been able to open the College Street location! He's such a friendly, warm person and he's worked very hard to make the Arts Market a viable concern. Salome and Maria, my jewelry-making friends at St. Lawrence Market, are currently sharing the front window at the Leslieville location at 1114 Queen St. East, and Maria also has a spot in the window at 846 College Street. So it's nice to be among friends.

I move into the Arts Market on Wednesday, November 13. Like the other makers, I get a swath of wall space to decorate and furnish and stock with my millinery goodness. I'll make another announcement about it when I'm in there and all stocked up.

Beyond these happenings, I'm also on the waiting list for a spot at the Wychwood Barns holiday craft shows, so I'll update you here if I get in.

So there you have it! My hats, toques, cozy cloches, fascinators and more and I will be delighted to see you at one or more of these great shopping opportunities.

Thank you for your support and for reading this far! Wishing you a dry evening and the very best of the leftover Hallowe'en candy.




No comments :

Post a Comment